PMD ROM Hacking Weekly - August 8th, 2021
Table of Contents
- Explorers ROM Hacking News
- Editor's Notes
⮝ Explorers ROM Hacking News
⮝ Explorers of Hell officially released !
On August 2nd, Explorers of Hell was officially released.
Presentation on the ProjectPokemon forum page
Hello everyone! Here is the presentation of my rom hack: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Hell. I've always loved Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but I was always frustrated by the lack of difficulty, and the fact that the game was finishable without using all the QoL offered by the game, like IQ, linked moves and other mechanics. After discovering SkyTemple, I tried to create my own rom hack, and finally get the game I always wanted to play.
With Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Hell, you can expect :
- A very high difficulty.
- New starters and new Pokemon from generations 5 to 8.
- New dungeons, boss battles and items.
- New dialogues (lots of memes and humor).
- The fairy type added.
- And other features.
SkyTemple hack repository page (include Discord and patch download link)
On babou's Discord
Hello everyone! I hope you are having fun on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon : Explorers of Hell! The first patch will arrive soon. It will have corrections with the R-word still present, and some problems will be fixed. The Project Pokemon page is now available, you can check it in #rom-download, there are a lot of useful data.
I hope you continue to enjoy Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Hell! I'm working on a second version, it will be called Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Heaven. It's exactly like Hell, except that the dialogues are not changed. This will make everyone feel more comfortable with the game! Thanks for reading, and have fun!
Also on babou's Discord
Hello everyone! Here is the 1.1 of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Hell. There are some corrections, like the R-word still present or Shiny Umbreon present on the first floor of Mt. Wrestler. There are also some new features:
- Addition of Whimsicott, Raboot and Drampa.
- Added 2 items: Root Seed and Wish Orb.
- A new NPC that will give the name of all @PMD : Master Player. To get this role, you must finish the post-game, recruit Arceus, and finish all the mazes in the Marowak Dojo.
As a reminder, use game saves to patch PMD Hell, and no savestates. I'm still working to improve PMD Hell, and quickly release PMD Heaven. I hope you're having fun, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me!
⮝ New demo for Explorers of the Azure Sky !
Hello again everyone, it's been a while. I've been very busy, working on and off, on my romhack, Explorers of the Azure Sky. Lots has changed since the first demo I released, and since today is PMD Day, I'll be releasing a new demo today!
Let's get into the new stuff:
- The story has been rewritten up until Chapter 10 - Dusknoir. After this point, the story will be vanilla.
- Thanks to Irdkwia, the Fairy type has been added. This includes gummies for IQ and Fairy type moves have been added as well, with custom animations. Pokemon that were changed to be Fairy type from Generation 6 onward have their appropriate type, and many new Pokemon have been given the type as well! Gummies have been added to the dungeon and Kecleon Shop item pools, as well as job rewards, so they should hopefully be easy to find.
- New Pokemon: Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales, Arceus, Victini, the Snivy line. More will be added and will be added to dungeon encounter tables. Arceus should be recruitable at the top of Destiny Tower.
- The Complete Team Control patch by Cipnit!
- Plenty of more stuff as time goes on!
I'd like to thank everyone who has been checking out my hack, and for everyone who checks out this demo. This is very much a personal project for me, and I am working on it as I feel motivated to. I am working on a full documentation which will have exactly the changes I've made to Pokemon for easy viewing.
You can download the .zip file in the Google Drive link below, which includes the patch, patcher, and instructions on how to patch, or you can just download the patch straight from Discord.
Please give me feedback and/or bugs/mistakes I've made, as I'd love to hear it! Thank you!
⮝ PMD Retold chapter 15 published !
by Team Fire Spark on Discord
I didn't know of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Day until yesterday so this definitely wasn't planned, but I'm going to shadow drop the latest episode in just under 90 minutes! Finally a convenient timezone for Europeans!
⮝ Announcement of Explorers of Memories !
On the SkyTemple Discord
Hello, my name is Shammywolf363, and I am the creator of Explorers of Memories. Explorers of Memories is a romhack where the protagonist never lost their memories, and this effects the story in many ways causing events to never happen or making events happen earlier than they should. However, this is not a retelling of the original story, instead it is a brand-new story with elements of the original. The official demo is coming out on the 14th and goes up to the end of chapter 9.
Here are some things that this hack features:
QoL improvements: Experience Share, picking your Starter after the test, Player/Partner can be the same species, increase text speed, and much more.
New Starters: Ralts, Buneary, Abra, and Misdreavus are new starters with new stats and movesets. Ralts and Buneary can be played by both genders while Misdreavus is female only and Abra is male only.
Starters Changes: All starters have two abilities and new movesets. Chikorita, Torchic, and Eevee stats have been increased. Eevee and Riolu can now be played as both genders.
Dungeons: Difficulty has been increased and dungeons get progressively harder as the player continues through the dungeon (but not kaizo hard). New enemies have been added to dungeons to counter the new starters added. Some enemies have new movesets to better counter the Player/Partner. All enemies that have a hidden ability in the main series that can be legitimately obtained have them in the demo (unless they are gamebreaking or are not in the data of skies).
There are many more features that are included that haven’t been listed! I hope you all look forward to this personal project of mine
⮝ Explorers of the Spirits Act 3 released !
by MaxSchersey on the SkyTemple Discord
Act 3 Is Finally Here!
Version 0.53 of Explorers of the Spirit is available now! Your previous save file can be transferred to this new release! See the "Transferring Saves & Upgrading" txt.
PATCH NOTES OVERVIEW - RELATIVE TO v0.36:
Features & Bug Fixes
- Added Chapters 10, 11, 12, and 13 (aka Act 3)
- No more multiple US patches! See the updated Patching Instructions.txt for details
- Added the ChooseStarter ASM patch (credit: Irdkwia)
- After the conclusion of the personality test, you now have the option to decline the test's choice and select your preferred starter
- Added the MoveShortcuts ASM patch (credit: End, Irdkwia)
- Holding L displays your move list and allows you to shortcut each move with your face buttons, like in the 3DS PMD games
- Added save screen icons (credit: SHIKI)
- Added Lopunny portraits (credit: DunkingDucks)
- Added Ampharos portraits (credit: DunkingDucks)
- Added Weavile portraits (credit: DunkingDucks)
- Changed the color of the critical hit text to red
- Fixed the title card!
- Changed the game title and icon (for original hardware users)
- Fixed a bug where asking Chatot to repeat the Waterfall Cave instructions advanced to the next scene anyways
- Fixed a bug where jobs for some dungeon floors had an inappropriate rank associated with it
- Adjusted the context of NPC dialogue during Chapter 6
- Various minor changes to prior cutscenes/scripts
- Secondary ability changed from None to Null
- Secondary ability changed from Null to Sand Veil
- Added Flail as a move learned at Level 1
- You will need to start a new game for this to take effect
- Added Rock Throw as a move learned at Level 1
- You will need to start a new game for this to take effect
- Waterfall Cave:
- Decreased the spawn rate of Apples
- Apple Woods/Deep Apple Woods:
- Decreased the spawn rate of TMs
- Removed Gummies from the Food/Gummies spawn pool
- Gloomy Forest:
- Changed the tileset
- Kecleon Shop (Treasure Town):
- Raised the purchase price of Reviver Seeds
- Raised the purhcase price of Violent Seeds
- Removed Power Band, Warp Scarf, and Insomniscope from the hold item pool
- Added Lockon Specs and Weather Band to the hold item pool
- Removed the treasure bag upgrade after the completion of the expedition
As with the previous two releases, Team EotS is once again looking for feedback! While direct feedback is preferred, the previous anonymous feedback forms have also been given heavy consideration when making design choices for this release. Thank you in advance for any response! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeT8fOHx7BLjJh4nLJWUKNCEBm7zVA8ERWd77c3BXDWZTMwGQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
⮝ New Community Assets
Animated sprites in this section are animated PNG files. If animated sprites appear to be static images, make sure that your browser supports PNG animation. (Most modern browsers should display them just fine, though.)
Arceus Bug by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Dark by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Dragon by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Electric by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Electric Shiny by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Fairy by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Fairy Shiny by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Fighting by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Fire by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Ghost by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Grass by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Ground by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Poison by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Psychic by MurpiSprite Changed
Arceus Rock by MurpiSprite Changed
Celebi Alternate Shiny by MurpiPortrait Changed
Charizard Shiny by MurpiPortrait Changed
Charizard Altcolor by MurpiSprite Added
Clefable Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Cleffa by Deleca7755Portrait Added
Cleffa Shiny by Deleca7755Portrait Added
Dewgong Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Dunsparce Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Duskull by baronessfaronPortrait Added
Ekans Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Flaaffy Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Flabebe by baronessfaronSprite Added
Gastly Alternate by someone with the discord id <@!218959749276893184>Portrait Added
Gastly Alternate Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Hoppip Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Kartana by EmboargerPortrait Added
Leavanny Shiny by EmmuffinPortrait Added
Lilligant Shiny by EmmuffinPortrait Added
Lopunny Mega by baronessfaronPortrait Added
Mareep Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Marowak Shiny by EmmuffinPortrait Added
Meganium Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Meganium Shiny Female by MurpiPortrait Added
Mienshao by someone with the discord id <@!104090628937220096>Portrait Added
Nihilego by EmboargerPortrait Added
Omanyte Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Pangoro by someone with the discord id <@!104090628937220096>Portrait Added
Poliwhirl Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Sewaddle Shiny by EmmuffinPortrait Added
Shuppet by baronessfaronPortrait Added
Shuppet Shiny by baronessfaronPortrait Added
Skiploom Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Spewpa Shiny by EmmuffinPortrait Added
Sudowoodo Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Swadloon Shiny by EmmuffinPortrait Added
Togepi Shiny by MurpiPortrait Added
Umbreon Shiny by Murpi
those sprites had issue... Emmufin should fix these, but I'll keep them here for fun (and have the diff next week too)
Whimsicott by DonkinDoSprite Added
Xatu by someone with the discord id <@!104090628937220096>Portrait Added
Zoroark Alternate by someone with the discord id <@!104090628937220096>Portrait Added
⮝ SkyTemple Changes
I want to remind you that, while I don't share progress of translation, they are continuous improvement in this area.
⮝ New Features
- Commited by Parakoopa (frontend, backend): Ability to edit tileset properties (see screenshot)
- Commited by Irdkwia (backend, frontend 1, frontend 2): Add ChangeFixedFloorProperties patch, removing "hard-coded checks for fixed floor properties and replaces some with new properties".
- Commited by End45 : Add a patch prevent crash when there are too much sprites on screen.
Adds a patch that can help prevent the crashes that happen when the game runs out of memory when displaying sprites in cutscenes (this has been observed in roms that had custom sprites or had used the randomizer). Other glitches could happen instead, but it will probably stop the softlock. The patch has no effect in the normal behaviour of the game, as long as it doesn't run out of memory the patch will not trigger. In the only test I've done so far, the game went from a softlock to running with no apparent side effects after applying the patch.
- Commited by Parakoopa: "Fixed race condition with new unload method"
Edition of tileset properties :
⮝ Editor's Notes
Did I miss anything? Feel free to open a github issue, contact me on Discord at
marius851000#2522, send me an email at
firstname.lastname@example.org, or send me a message from an ActivityPub-compatible service (Mastodon) at
Written and initially formatted by